James Coate established his first brush works in London in 1847 relocating in 1883, opening factories in Axminster, Devon and Chard, Somerset. In 1941 another shaving brush manufacturer, A Simpson lost their London factory, as a result of enemy bombing and in the spirit of wartime co-operation shared Coate’s production facilities in Somerset. This partnership proved so successful that the two companies continued to work under this arrangement until production ceased in1990, as a result of a period of financial difficulty.
The companies were rescued by friends David Carter and Francis Woodhouse who continued the manufacture of Simpson’s shaving brushes using the traditional handmade techniques and also Coate’s brand shaving creams. In 2008 the Simpson shaving brush part of the business was sold to another UK manufacturer, who continue to ensure the high standards of production. www.coates1847.com